Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 12:32:16 +0200
On    Mon,     19    Jun    1995    22:33:21     -0500    Murph    Sewall
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>>Let me put it this way. If this act passes, the Internet as we know it,
>>and AOL, CompuServe and others, are dead.
>
>Probably not. In the first  place, even the current conservative Supreme
>Court is likely to rule it unConstitutional.

I meant if it passes all the  legal barriers on its way, whose detail I'm
afraid I'm not familiar with :-)

>Aside  from a  few  U.S. Senators  who've clearly  spent  too much  time
>confined inside the Beltway,

Actually, US senators tend to live in VA :-)

>Think of  the money to  be made setting up  hosts in the  Cayman Islands
>(hmmm... could I make as much a Mr. Bill? ;-)

Unfortunately, the way  I read the legalese that was  posted I'm not sure
it  would work.  If I  run  a mailing  list  in Sweden  with US  citizens
subscribed to  it, I am unlikely  to be arrested, although  I wouldn't be
too surprised if a few FBI agents from the local US Branch Office paid me
a visit and tried to intimidate me. However this wouldn't really help Joe
US citizen if he  posted "obscene" material from the US  to my list. This
being said,  if I ran  a service like  playboy.com, yes I  would probably
relocate my web  server outside US jurisdiction. But  there the situation
is different because  the material is provided by the  webmaster, and not
by a third party.

  Eric