"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 10:30:00 EST
Some LISTSERV commands that users or owners issue can be deferred
to non-prime-time hours.  This is a local LISTSERV configuration
option.  To cause LISTSERV to defer processing (if you send the
command DURING prime-time hours), prepend a JOB card similiar to:

//ListSrch JOB Echo=no,prime=no

Let's say I operate a large list called 'listx' and want to do
various Queries against it, but defer those queries for non-prime
procesing.  I could send the [log in to unmask]:

//ListSrch JOB Echo=no,prime=no
Q listx FOR *@host1
Q listx FOR *@host2
// EOJ

This same JOB card could be used for doing DATABASE Search
commands.

Another tip for those lists that operate on someone else's host,
especially if you aren't being charged for that service, is to
only distribute postings during non-prime-time hours.  That can
be defined is the list's keyword definition file.  This could be
used in a negotiation when a site no longer wants to host a list
because of cycles or network bandwidth consumed (during prime-time).

Pete Weiss at Penn Statte