Andrew Bosch <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:59:25 -0600
Are there any 8-bit characters in the message sent, including soft
carriage returns? Some systems automatically send base-64 if they detect
characters that can not be sent as-is via RFC822-compliant messages.

It could also be that one of T-Mobile's Blackberry gateways constantly
sends base-64, while others do not.

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Kevin Parris wrote:

> Are the problem messages NEW items, or written as replies to other
> posts?  Are the originals, to which the blackberry replies, from the
> same origin?  I'm suggesting that perhaps your sometimes-garbled
results
> may be hailing from origins not necessarily in the blackberry device
-
> just something to think about.

At first we thought that the problem occurred only when he replied to
post, but that proved not to be true. Then we thought there was a
line-wrap problem, but that theory also fell by the wayside. Here,
courtesy of my co-owner (who has been working on the problem more
directly
and has subscribed to the digest to monitor it), is what we know/have
tried:

"We already know that ...

   - It's not something that happens when lines exceed any
     particular number of characters. Charlie has tried
     manually wrapping lines at 30 characters.
   - It's not related to replying to a message. I've seen
     the problem when he's replied, when he's created a new
     message and pasted in quoted text, and when he's
     created a blank new message.
   - Every message that comes with a warning that there
     is an error in the headers seems also to be base 64,
     but I believe there have been some base 64 messages
     that had no warning about header errors."

Jane