Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:25:50 -0400
At 11:22 9/10/98 -0400, Jacob Haller said:
|>I need to subscribe 25,000 people to an announce only list quietly.  What is
|>the easiest way to do this?  I have email addresses only in a text file
|>format.
|
|The fast, nice bulk add command goes as follows:

What is interesting is that the original question and followup Q&A
revealed that there might be only two distributions, in which case one
would consider the value of creating a list to begin with, and instead
use the DISTRIBUTE function (the LISTSERV document request I've posted
earlier today).

<None of the following should be construed as a criticism of the recent
poster about the SUBJECT:.>

Directing a list-owner to the manual for the answer to lookup a basic
operation is an excellent idea: unfortunately there is no LISTSERV
owner's (or for that matter email or Internet) driver's license.

The reasons why it is a good idea for what is a basic Q&A:

1) basic info was put in the manual for a reason: to be read (learning
where and how to access this info is critical)

2) most lists (not all), esp. LSTOWN-L should be used after an individual
has made an offline effort at finding the info.

This goes back to Eric's comment about giving a person a fish: instead,
teach them how and they will bless you.

/Pete