Garrie Burr <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:55:27 -0600
We've used the 'TELL LISTSERV /FORWARD emailaddress' command for the last few
years to forward incoming mail from a person's old account on our VM System
(where listserve resides) to their new email account on a different system.
Apparently this has broken after upgrading to 1.8d -- though I'm not sure it's
totally broken because we have seen -some- mail forwarded on appropriately.

Issuing the '/FORWARD' command adds the forwarding to a file called FORWARD FILE
and that file remains intact and up-to-date.

Where the real strangeness comes in:  A person calls, suspicious that their mail
is not being forwarded.  I log-on to their account and find that they're right.
Since the FORWARD FILE indicates that they should be forwarded I tried just
setting up the forwarding again, by issuing 'TELL LISTSERV /FORWARD RESET'
(getting the message that the forwarding has successfully been deactivated) and
then issuing 'TELL LISTSERV /FORWARD emailaddress' (getting the message that
their forwarding has been successfully updated.)

What happens next:  Not only is their mail forwarded on, but we find that all
the other mail on our VM System that hadn't been forwarded ALSO gets forwarded
on to where it had previously been designated to go in the FORWARD FILE.

How can resetting a totally unauthorized account cause this to happen?  What do
we do to get forwarding working again?

I waited a day and followed the same scenario from a different person's VM
account and again we get the rush of hundreds of forwarded emails.

--Garrie