"Peter Graham, Rutgers U., (908) 932-2741" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 6 Jan 1993 23:07:00 EST
Jim Jones of JHUVM says, >For those who would like to prevent anonymous
 postings, please note
 that it's virtually impossible to do so.<

Why do you say that?  let us distinguish between an "anonymous" posting and a
"forged" posting.  A forged posting, like a forged driver's license, lets
someone pretend they are not what/who they are.  That presents different
issues from the anonymous posting.  Why can we not prevent anonymous postings
if (again, only "if") there is consensus to do so?  I.e. if listserv
technology doesn't allow it and local postmasters (and associated bureaucra-
cies) don't allow sending in that form.

(The forged posting raises different issues and would be a different discussion
thread, I think.)

--Peter Graham, Rutgers University Libraries