"Phyllis L. Flott" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 01:52:23 -0600
I'm wondering about this question becasue many people are using e-mail
archives for research these days.  I use a list for the classes I teach
and I'm wondering if there is any evidence left after the log and the
web archive are altered.  If a researcher suspected that there had been
deletions in both the log and the web archive, would there be anything
left to tip them off that there had been alterations?

tnx

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 00:38:06 -0500 P. Flott said:
>The topic of changing archives has been posted to this list in the past
but
> I have a slightly different question.  Have the archives to LSTOWN
>been altered?  Are the archives we can search for information
>complete or have they been edited?  Is there anyway to tell?

As far as I recall (back to the early '90's) the archives of this list
have
never been edited.  We may have lost some content in a disk crash that
occurred on SEARN a few years ago but that's it.  Eric does not believe
in editing archives :)  Why do you ask?

Nathan