Mon, 14 Sep 1998 02:41:24 -0500
> Please let's take this off-topic argument off the list.  Thank you.

Discussion of the philosophy, morals and ethics of being a listowner is
off-topic on a list created in Indiana for the purpose of discusion among
listowners of that which is of concern to listowners as listowners,
Nathan?

Only " what X should I do to get Y" need apply? Is LSTOWN-L supposed to be
merely an unpaid tech support branch of LSOFT now, even though LSOFT did
not exist when this list was created? To what venue do you suggest
taking the philosophical aspects of listownership?

I only have two lists, with a paltry aggregate of around 5,000
subscribers.  The technical Q&A is a large part of both, but they are more
important in providing a platform to discuss that which underlies the Q&A
stuff.  As long as they don't get into flame wars or into a repetitious
cycle I consider them free to discuss the moral, ethical and philosophical
issues of their two respective professions as much as they wish (which
usually isn't all that much as most just want to know the rules they
should follow).

Only tech Q&A is on-topic for the listowners' discussion group now?
Is that what you mean, Nathan?

Douglas