Sun, 18 Jul 1999 14:37:09 -0600
> Anyway, the troll is a published writer and I don't want the troll
> arguing that retaining his posts constitutes copyright violation, etc. The
> troll hasn't thought of that, of coure, but I have and he may think of it
> in the future.

I don't know if this applies.. but some thing the listserv host is just a carrier and not
open to copyright problems [remembering that anyone can sue for *any*thing..

For the listowners and subscribers though.. this hasn't been tested on internet stuff..
but i have to think it may apply:

From NEWSWEEK May 24, 1999,
PRIVACY: Whose Life Is It Anyway?
J. D. Salinger's secret love letters are for sale at Sotheby's
By Cathleen McGuigan

"Despite the auction, the letters to Maynard aren't likely to become widely public.
While potential bidders may read them under the watchful eye of a Sotheby's
employee, no one can publish them—not even Maynard. "The person who writes the
letter owns the words, and the person to whom the letter is addressed owns the
letter," explains Martin Garbus, a copyright expert. In a suit that Salinger brought in
1987, the court ruled that a would-be biographer, Ian Hamilton, couldn't quote
unpublished Salinger letters."

Since once a post is sent to the list.. it may already be "published" .. I'm not sure this
really applies????  Probably on email lists.. since it becomes a publication of sorts ..
and especially those lists that are archived making posts available for as long as the
host stays up.. it may not.

  ...Cleo  [log in to unmask]