Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 May 2005 14:59:39 +0200
The finale  of the 2004-2005 LISTSERV  Choice Awards is the  Grand Prize.
Because being the author of LISTSERV  gives me excessive influence, I did
not participate  in the  selection of the  seven category  winners, which
were chosen by a combination of panel and staff votes. In exchange, I got
to  choose  the Grand  Prize  myself  :-) And  I  have  chosen ACOR,  the
Association of Cancer Online Resources.

The Grand  Prize "honors  the organization with  the most  successful and
beneficial e-mail  list or  lists." It  is difficult to  think of  a more
beneficial - and  unexpected - usage of LISTSERV  technology than ACOR's.
Their mailing lists prolong or save  lives by allowing cancer patients to
share information about treatment options and cures. This is particularly
valuable  for  rare forms  of  cancer,  where  knowledge is  limited  and
scattered all over  the world, with the end result  that most patients do
not gain access to it through their local oncologist.

ACOR is run by  volunteers and began using e-mail lists  in 1998, "a time
when almost  every professional in the  field frowned upon the  idea," to
quote ACOR founder  Gilles Frydman. Today it has  over 50,000 subscribers
and delivers  1.5 million messages a  week. You can read  more about ACOR
at:

http://www.lsoft.com/news/choice-grand.asp

and, of course:

http://www.acor.org