"Natalie Maynor" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 14 Mar 1992 08:48:58 CST
> Also, I'd imagine that many (if not most?) systems with both BITNET and
> Internet addresses have told the net about these equivilencies.  I think
> LISTSERV treats those Internet addresses as their BITNET equivilences.

This is a good reason NOT to tell the net about such equivalencies.
When I found out that sometimes mail would be changed to my bitnet
address if the equivalency were registered, I was very happy that ours
isn't.  I don't want my bitnet address used -- EVER.  It can add days
to the routing.

> Still with me?  :-) My point is, don't bother advocating Internet
> addresses over BITNET addresses.  In many cases, LISTSERV won't be
> fooled, and in other cases, the gateway LISTSERV will try to use might
> still be behind a balky network node.

Since most lists have internet addresses also, I strongly recommend that
subscribers use their internet addresses and forget the list's bitnet
address. For the two lists I run (both at UGA), I always give @uga.cc.uga.
edu as the first address and add the @uga.bitnet parenthetically.
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])