Sanjay Kapur <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 19:58:35 -0400
On Tue, 17 Oct 1995, Anita Cohen-Williams wrote:

> People,
>
> My net.kook is still going strong and is raising hell on another list. I am in
> contact with the lawyers at his university, but they have little or no
> understanding of what Internet is, let alone what rights the university has in
> stopping this person. The net.kook is threatening to sue anyone who gets in
> his way of his "First Amendment rights" to say whatever he wants on the Net.
>
> I plan to do a search of the LSTOWN-L archives, so I can send the lawyers some
> relevant information (like the legal opinion from the University of Kentucky),
> and possibly some contact people who can point them in the right directions.
>
> While I wait for my results, can anyone help out with any cases/precedednts
> that they know of? (I know that I have asked this before, but need to again.)
>
> Some background info: this person is using discussion lists to libel, slander,
> and otherwise say anything he wants to about everyone he can think of. He
> doesn't appear to care whether they are on the Net or not. He has been booted
> off several lists, including my own, and now he is claiming that we are
> denying him his First Amendment rights. The university has no idea what to do
> with him, and his university account.
>
> Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
> Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
> PHONE: (602) 965-4579              FAX: (602) 965-9169
> [log in to unmask]  Owner: HISTARCH, SPANBORD, SUB-ARCH

What is your University's policy on the use of meeting rooms?  Can
anyone barge into an official meeting and disrupt it?  If
your University is hosting a conference or symposium, can anyone come in
and disrupt those proceedings?

A mailing list should be treated as a virtual meeting room.

Sanjay Kapur