Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 08:36:33 -0500
On Tue, 11 Jul 1995 20:40:44 -0400, Trish Forrest wrote:
>I also received a
>reply from the Manager of Computing Services at York who said that
>the Computer Coordinator of his system will have a chat with this
>person.  Is this enough?

Usually it is.  I've concluded its not a good idea to label the earnest, if
misguided, bad.  I was once the graduate student representative on the
student government wondering if I was that naive when I was a freshman
(probably).

My experience is that usually the user services staffs at University's are
effective at explaining the logic of nettiquette.

>My hands are ethically clean -- I gain
>nothing personally from spreading a message against nuclear testing.

I'd be tempted to write Chris Robinson myself, but alas he/she already is
an anti-business school bigot (not ALL faculty are in the pockets of
capitalist exploiters--some of us marketing professors take the position
that we won't have ethical business practice until we graduate students who
are sensitive to the issues; hence we try our damndest).  Would that
spamming the Internet could sway the French, or any other government (we
might all live with the hassle if that were the case).

Since wasting bandwidth has negligible impact, the ancient (dates at least
to 1983) policy of denying service to chain letter propogators continues to
make sense.

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (203) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (203) 486-5246 fax