Tue, 3 Apr 2001 18:58:53 -0500
On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Pete Weiss wrote:
> Yes.  The purpose of filtering OTHER is to make sure that the correct
> topic is used.  The selection and use of TOPICS is a social contract of
> sorts.  Needless to say, all topics are still sent to folks in DIGEST and
> INDEX mode, and are stored in the archives (assuming they exist).
> Of course YMMV -- what might be "good" or "necessary" on one list's
> operation, might be the Vulcan Death Grip on another.

Amen.  I eschew "topics" like the plague.  If subscribers are interested
in the list the are interested in the *entire* list or they are not really
interested.  In addition to what Pete said about DIGEST and INDEX, note
that the *list* threshold applies.  If you've 7 "topics" and the devotes
of topic 4 routinely post up a storm there may be no room left for the
people on the other "topics" and they will wonder why the list is held
for exceeding the threshold when they haven't seen any list postings.
Of course, one can raise the threshold, but . . .      Douglas