Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:40:29 -0600
>I am trying to figure out why our ListServ (1.8e) is removing the wrong
email address from our lists during probes. Below is an example of (X)
email address being deleted when (Y) email address is the incorrect one.
I wish I had more info to provide. Has anyone else experienced this?

Not removal, because I stopped trusting Auto-Delete's judgment and switched
it to Manual. But the business of matching an error for one subscriber to
another subscription seems to me to be a characteristic of certain
destination domains. I infer that it might be caused by the way certain
email handlers report errors.

I think (and here the L-Soft mavens may correct me) that when there are a
group of subscribers on the same list, some of the processing for delivery
of their individual copies may be combined in such a way that the whole set
of recipients is known to the destination email system, in connection of its
handling of any given copy. The problem arises when that system reports a
delivery failure for one of the addresses, but sends back that report in
connection with all of them.

I had one subscriber address go bad out of about 25, but all of
them--everyone receiving list email in that domain--showed up on my error
summary. Each report listed the same address as having the problem. I
bounced a test message off that address to verify it was bad, then NOMAILED
it (and temporarily shortened my Auto-Delete= Delay setting to screen out
the bogus reports until they timed out).

Just in case the use of NOMAIL wasn't clear: I often suspend delivery to a
subscriber with a problem and send test messages for a while before deleting
them. Once in a while one of them comes back, even when the error appeared
to be permanent.

I have been reading your posts with interest. It looks like your domain
might use the same software as the organization that had the problem on my
list.

Hal Keen