Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Mark Hunnibell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 10:56:36 -0500
text/plain (33 lines)
Jim Ehrlich wrote:

> 1) is the PUT...LOGnnnn startegy possible for transferring archives?

I believe so, yes. I just FTP'd a bunch of fabricated LOG files to my NT LISTSERV and it worked very well within minutes of putting the new list header.

> 2) if so, are there critical details.  Or (better yet)  does anyone have a script for automating the job?

The most critical detail is that each message should be preceded by a line of 73 equal signs (=) starting in the leftmost column. Normally, if someone includes a message with 73 equal signs, then LISTSERV will offset the beginning of
that line by one character, so the left column is blank and then there are the 73 equal signs.  If you are building a script to do that and there's a chance this could be a factor, I'd address it in the program.  After the line of 73
equal signs, the lines of the header of the message are included. I am unsure if the spacing is mandatory, but I spaced mine just like the LISTSERV-generated LOG files, where the data for each record of the header begins at the 15
character (where the left column is 1).  Here is an example:

==========(continued to 73 equal signs)
Date:         Tue, 09 Dec 1997 18:27:30 -0500
Reply-To:     [log in to unmask]
Sender:       Cows R Us <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Re: Hormones

Now would be the text of the message (a blank line after all the header stuff). You can include other stuff in the header such as:

Comments:     Source: Original Listproc COWS List

I wrote a script that parsed about 8,000 messages from two years worth of AOL forum logs and created working LISTSERV archives.  The format of the Lisproc log is surely different (AOL logs are very messy because there is no divider
inserted between messages. One message can start on the same line as the ending of the previous message.  Accounting for this was a little tricky but in the end, I accounted for 100% of the messages).  If you'd like and you have some
perl experience, I can e-mail you the scripts (there were two, one to parse the log file and create individual messages, and the other to assemble the indivividual messages into month-based log files) and you can have a go of it.

It seems to me that this would be a useful thing for L-Soft to have at the ready to encourage folks to migrate to LISTSERV.

Mark Hunnibell
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2