Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:34:09 -0500
On 11/10/2005 10:19, Laura Kraly wrote:
> My question is regarding a Private List where only List Owners can
> subscribe users and only subscribers can post to the List.
>
> If a non-subscriber tries to subscribe or to post to the List they get a
> message back saying what the error is and who to contact if they have
> questions. Now, in the message it says to contact the List Owner at
> [log in to unmask] (filled in with my “Listname” dash “the
> word ‘Request’” @ myhost.com). My problem is that this e-mail address is
> not valid and if I try to send to that address I get back an undeliverable
> message.

Apparently, the system administrator (LISTSERV postmaster) did not create the
listname-request alias for the mail server software on the LISTSERV server
when he/she created the list. You need to notify the system administrator
of this problem. Only he/she can resolve this problem.

> I tried to change the configuration file so that errors go to my e-mail
> address specifically (‘Errors-to= [log in to unmask]’as opposed
> to ‘Errors-to= Owner’), but that doesn’t make a difference. I know that I
> could manually change the templates where it currently reads “&OWNERS” but
> I don’t want to have to do for each List.

This change had no effect on the problem you described, because the root
cause is not the list configuration; the root cause is the missing alias
for the mail server software. Messages for listname-request are not being
delivered to LISTSERV for distribution to the list owner, because the mail
server software has not been told that messages for listname-request should
be delivered to LISTSERV.

> Does anyone know if there is a setting where I can specify an e-mail
> address for the [log in to unmask] so that it will be valid?

As noted above, you need to notify the LISTSERV postmaster of this problem.
Only he/she can resolve this problem.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator