Eric Paul-Hus <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 18:16:35 -0800
Bon Matin to all,

It may be "normal" behavior but the following can get a list owner very
nervous ...

Here's the scenario (the list under the self-moderation scheme
Send=Editor,Hold Editor,me,(LIST))

A non-sub user sends a post to the via the News address (but I strongly
believe that the list address will produce the same)

I receive an "Approval Request" , it's an old Ler of ours so I forward
the canges we made in the last months including sub info (for future
post) and I OK this one ...

At this point the Approved-by: should be me right ?

I see the post on the list, it reads Approved-by:non-sub-user (which is
wrong) and the From: address reads  From: non-sub-user@host ...

Some time later I receive the Sub notification for non-sub-user.

And the user reposted the message I OKed before. That copy also appears
later with Approved-by:non-sub-user(which is now right) and the From:
address reads From: "Sub Name" <non-sub-user@host>.

My questions...
How com the first post did not keep the Approved-by:me that would
distinguish the 2 copies ???
When does LISTSERV puts the Approved-by: in the header ???

It seems to me that if an Editor (or a Moderator) approves a post that
audit trail should be left in the message header ... Or is it the
coincidence factor of LISTSERV processing my "OK" and the sub in that
order and before the mail is "prepared for distribution"?

I would understand addding another Approved-by: and leaving the first
one alone, I don't understand changing it so it "appears" to be from a
sub user when *I* OKed it ...

The only thing I could come up for changing the Approved-By is to mask
if a user is under REVIEW ... If so, I find that's wrong...

Does someone have some explanations for LISTSSERv Approved-by behavior ?

--
Eric Paul-Hus, BLUES-L