Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 19:48:41 -0500
Anne, It happened to me a week ago. Running 1.8c (at some level of
release??) on WNT.

The LIST in question was retrieved from tape backup (because the original
LIST's subscribers were blown away by one of the owners). When I tried to
update the restored LIST, I was told it was LOCKED. I UNLOCKED it; I was
told it was now UNLOCKED. I tried to PUT the updated LIST. I was told the
LIST was LOCKED.... etc., etc....

I GETted the LIST and examined it to see if it indeed had a LOCK in it
(there is actually some text written inside the LIST file that _is_ the
LOCK). There was no such LOCK. End of road, out of gas.

I FTP'd to the LISTSERV site, ftp/DELETEd the LIST file, and FTP/PUT the
updated LIST file. LIST no longer LOCKED, sun rose, pretty day.

(I also checked to see if the LIST file had some sort of WNT file access
protection on it (that LISTSERV might have been "honoring"). Its
protections were the same as for all the other LIST files.)
Peter