Robert Ponterio <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 08:03:48 -0400
This is probably much more trouble than it would be worth, but I have
been finding myself wishing for the ability to review some postings to
my list based on selected keywords in the subject line.

We allow open posting by subscribers only so we catch a good deal of the
junk send in by non-subscribers.  We have had problems when someone
offers a collection of "activities that work" to others on the list and
200 people send in "I want a copy - me too" postings to the entire list.
This is even worse when the original message was a commercial
advertisement that got past us.  Occasionally replies to other sorts of
topics can get out of hand.  It would be nice to be able to require
approval for say... all messages with the word "activities" in the
subject line.  After a week the block could be removed and we would not
have lost subscribers who don't want to spend their time deleting "me
too"s.

As it is, we use SEND= Editor and remove the listname from the Editor=
keyword line in the list header in these cases, making the list
moderated.  But that is really overkill because we like the freer flow
of ideas allowed by the quicker response time when the list is
unmoderated.  Does anyone have any ideas  on possibilities for such
selective moderating?  We do a lot to "educate" our subscribers but out
of 1200-1300 people, even a small percentage of "mistakes" can generate
a lot of "junk mail".

Bob
 Robert Ponterio                  | [log in to unmask]
 co-manager of FLTEACH            | State Univ. of New York Cortland
 Foreign Language Teaching Forum  -----------------------------------
 http://www.cortland.edu/www_root/flteach/flteach.html