Thomas Zielke <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Jan 1993 13:52:23 CET
Dear Eric,

yes, I know you are getting hundreds of requests for new features to be
added to the next release of LISTSERV, but I nevertheless would like to
annoy with yet another one.

Having list mail stored and archived by LISTSERV is a very fine and
comfortable thing for both owners and subscribers. However, diskspace
is always short, and in those cases where a list is hosted at more than
one site, normally only one of these sites keeps the archives of that list.
Now my question is: Do you see any advantage in adding a feature that allows
subscribers to send INDEX <list> or GET <list-logfile> to any site hosting
the list in question, regardless whether that site actually holds the
archives or not, whith the effect that LISTSERV would check the other sites
for the information requested and then have the LISTSERV site where the
file is kept send a copy to the one who requested it?

I hope I could make myself clear and understandable and remain

Yours,

Thomas Zielke

Historisches Seminar
Universit{t Oldenburg