"Tansin A. Darcos & Company" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Aug 1993 05:36:23 -0400
From: Paul Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
-----
"Khatri, Shah" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> We set up a LISTSERV list for a Congressman.  However, our liaison
> to the Congressman told us the following:
>
> > Apparently, the House Ethics Committee has to approve such
> > things, and as part of their approval process they need to
> > know the cash value of such a service (to insure the Reps.
> > aren't getting a bunch of special perks, I suppose).
>
> > We are not charged for email or LISTSERV accounts, so I have
> > no idea what to tell them.  Has anyone over there ever
> > priced-out the cost of delivering email messages, maintaining
> > a LISTSERV account, etc.?

> What would be the cash value to the good Congressman of having a
> LISTSERV list dedicated to him?

Inform your liason of a "real world" example.  Digital Express, Inc.
in Greenbelt, Maryland (a suburb of Washington, DC) will provide
anyone with E-Mail access for $15 a month; unlimited service is
$25 a month (for FTP and Telnet).  This can be confirmed by calling
them at (301) 220-2020.

Having asked them, a spokseperson said that adding a mailing address
for someone would cost $15 to install and $1 a month.

So tell the person that a commercial site has a charge of $17 a month,
with a $15 installation fee.  (Since you need two addresses, the
'list' itself and the '-request' address.)

---
Paul Robinson - [log in to unmask]
-----
The following Automatic Fortune Cookie was selected only for this message:

Get happy!