Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 12 Nov 1994 01:24:56 +0100
On Fri, 11  Nov 1994 15:42:14 -0500  Roger Burns <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>is this true? Are there no steps I can take to eliminate the prospect of
>unauthorized  hackers reading  the list's  archives, or  posting to  the
>list? I wish  to take those steps that  I can take. And I wish  to get a
>clear sense of what the limits of security are, so that I can make these
>limits plain to the participating  physicians and not mislead them about
>how confidential their discussions will be.

The Internet wasn't designed with security  in mind. You will not be able
to prevent  hackers from posting to  the list, or claiming  they are Bill
Clinton.  You can  provide a  reasonable degree  of safety  for the  list
archives, but the Internet is an open network. Your mail transits through
several sites,  into which hackers  could break. If you  have information
which is really confidential, putting it on the Internet in plain text is
a bad idea.

  Eric