"Natalie Maynor" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Sep 1992 16:49:03 CDT
> 2. Assuming you use  an editor for sending mail, rather  than the 'cat >'
>    like mode:  'mail lsv', wait,  'command', exit sequence,  confirm that
>    you want  to send now,  wait, *beep*  new mail arrived,  'mail', wait,
>    then whatever the command is that shows the message text.

Good grief.  You make it sound complicated.  It's really much simpler
than sending the 'tell' (or 'netwrite') command since I can send mail
from anywhere  -- i.e., from inside or outside of reading mail.  To send
an interactive message, I have to exit mail first.  Sending mail to the
listserv is quite simple.  I enter 'mail lsv' <enter> <enter> 'command'
and then a period.  And it's gone.  If I happen to care about seeing the
confirmation right away, it's usually back by the time I can type 'mail'.
Usually I don't care about seeing it.  I can tell from the subject header
that the command was successfully acted on, so I often delete the message
unread.  (Btw, I would go crazy within five minutes if I had to listen to
beeps every time mail arrived.  I realize that's an option that can be
set, but I can't imagine why anybody who gets much mail would want to
use it.)

Thanks for the answer to my question about "presenting."  It sounds like
a useful system.
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])