John Buckman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 19:04:00 -0500
>Not us.  Then we'd have to give accounts on the LISTSERV machine
>to the list owners, whch we definitely do not do now.
>Also, a lot of people would prefer the GUI.

No - that's not the plan.  The user of this program would need to be running
some kind of command line based OS with PERL, and would not need to run this
on the same machine LISTSERV runs on.  Essentially it would do these things:

Let you edit/send/receive list headers
Help you send the welcome and other messages
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps read a user's mail file, parse & scan for errors,
group the sources of errors together and help you nomail or signoff
offending users.

The first two can be done either on the GUI or in a perl program.  The last
needs to happen someplace where the mail format is something I can depend on
(UNIX mail or look-alike)

>I'd say do  the GUI interface.  Anyone  who's comfortable running something
>behind Perl doesn't need your program.

Perhaps - though I may break this out into several command line programs.
"hdrtool" for example, might take as input a saved header file, and have a
menu-based super-streamlined interface for changing it, then save the file
back and optionally mail it to the listserv address you define.

Also, in past projects like this that I've worked on, the users have
modified and contributed to the source code for all to benefit.  The key was
providing an initial framework for people to work inside (kind of like linux
on a much smaller scale)

John

John Buckman - [log in to unmask] - (301) 718-7840
Walter Shelby Group Ltd. - Internet Software Publishers
http://www.shelby.com/pub/shelby/ - ftp://ftp.shelby.com/pub/wsg