Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 09:57:08 -0400
On 10 Sep 97 at 8:32, J. R. Lankford wrote:

> I received a message yesterday which has now been delivered about 50 times.
> Each one carries the same date and time. Anyone know how this was done
> but, more importantly, how to turn it off?

This is typically caused by a broken mail gateway somewhere along the
way. If the original date is the same on all copies, the original
sender only sent it once. However somewhere along the way, some mail
gateway is not closing its connection properly and is causing the
sending machine to think that the mail did not get through and
therefore that it needs to try to send it through again.

The way to trace the misbehaving gateway is to look at the dates on
the full headers from 2 copies of the mail. Where the dates diverge
(and probably the receiving end, but I suppose it could be the
sending end) is where the bad connection is. Send mail to postmaster
at each of the two hosts and explain the problem.

Francoise