Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 May 1997 11:35:15 -0400
Pete Weiss wrote:

> At 09:58 5/7/97 EDT, you wrote:
> >Not a LISTSERV problem, but ....
> >
> >We run LISTSERV ( with SMTP and LMAIL ) under VMESA
> >
> >I'm suddenly seeing more than one site ( incl AOL ) rejecting mail due
> >to envelope problems !  Is this an anti-spam/anti-relay technique
> >recently implemented ?

> >Error-Text: 553 <@CNSIBM.ALBANY.EDU:[log in to unmask]>...
> >        Source routed envelope sender rejected (See RFC 822, section 6.2.7)
>
> Recently AOL reported that they will NOT be a gateway to/thru other mail
> clients.

We ran (past-tense, the VM system is gone) Listserv/LMAIL, so excuse my
somewhat fuzzy memory, but...

It is rejecting the source-routed From: address.  By default, LMAIL will
insert a source route.  There is a flag you can set in LOCAL SYSVARS (?)
in LMAIL's configuration to disable source routes.  As I recall, it is
to add 'NO_SOURCE_ROUTES = 1' but I would strongly urge you to verify
that statement.  Once you set this flag, LMAIL will use 'vanilla'
headers/SMTP envelopes and AOL will be happy.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>