Sun, 6 Apr 1997 18:40:40 -0400
I'd have to say that this seems to be one of the least documented areas
of Listserv, unless of course your a VM user. Unfortunately, I'm an NT
user and there seems to be a bit of difference.

First of all, I'm the list master and owner, so I can do whatever needs
to be done myself (too bad I just don't know what to do...;-])

I have figured out where to create my files directory (in NT you have to
supply a full path including drive letter), and figured out that there
is NO site.catalog file and that I had to make one myself. With that
done I am also able to figure out how to add a file name to the new
catalog file I created (XX.catalog) and can get the catalog file
returned to me indicating there is an entry there (TEST.TXT  TEST.TXT
PRIVATE(listname) [log in to unmask])

So it would seem everything is working properly. Now the hard part.

I'm trying to send the darn file over to listserv. I have several
different test files I wanted to try, one binary and another plain text.
The mailer I'm using is Windows Exchange Client (Exchange Server client,
not the one that comes with Windows '95). I'm trying to add the files as
attachments as this is what my subscribers will want to do.

So I prepare a message to listserv with

PUT TEST.TXT PW=XXXXXXX
(ATTACHMENT)

I put my password in place of the XXXXXX, and where it says (ATTACHMENT)
there is an icon showing the attached file.

I send this off and what I get back is confusing. It says;

        File "TEST.TXT" had already been deleted.

I never sent a delete command, so why is it telling me this? Can anyone
tell me if;

1. I can send attachments as files to be added to a filelist.catalog
file.
2. there some way to put all the commands and the file in a single
message to make things simpler for my subscribers?

Is it just me, or does anyone else figure that for the money we should
be able to get OS specific clear documentation on complex issues like
databases and file management?

signed...hopeless in Lindsay,

Cheers,
Russ
R.C. Consulting, Inc. - NT/Internet Security

owner of the NTBugTraq mailing list:
Send SUBSCRIBE NTBUGTRAQ Yourname to [log in to unmask]