Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:51:36 EST
Attention FWI.COM : This incident of possible net.abuse may have been
perpetrated using a Web form at your Web site. I didn't find it there,
but I didn't spend much time looking, either. Anything that you can do
to prevent a recurrence will be appreciated.

Attention TETRA.NET : Someone may be attempting to perpetrate a denial
of service attack on your system by flooding your server with mail from
a multitude of lists.

it was unable to process, because the return address field in each
message was blank. The requests appear to have been submitted from a Web
form and show the subscriber's email address as "[log in to unmask]".

I considered the possibility that these might be bogus, but since there
were only two, I decided the lack of a return address was probably an
error. So, I sent a message to "[log in to unmask]" explaining why the
requests had not been processed and providing instructions on how to
subscribe by email. The message bounced: user known. Apparently, my
first instinct was correct.

I have appended one of the requests, with all the ugly headers, below.
The list name has been obliterated to protect the innocent.

>------------------ Message causing the problem (19 lines) --------------
>Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 00:22:29 -0500 (EST)
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: ()
>Subject: WWW Form Submission
>
>Below is the result of your feedback form.  It was submitted by  () on
>Wednesday, February 19, 1997 at 00:22:29
>
>body: subscribe xxxxxxxx
>
>from: [log in to unmask]

* Paul Russell * Senior Systems Programmer * University of Notre Dame  *
* Email: [log in to unmask] * Web: http://vma.cc.nd.edu/~prussell  *