Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 18:35:48 -0700
At 09:45 AM 11/17/98 -0500, Paul Russell wrote:
>I was probably mistaken; I often am, and I have no concrete evidence to
>offer in my defense. I'm sorry I said anything.

Actually, don't apologize, as several things are going on here.  And don't
feel chewed on, either, just because several folks here are a bit abrupt at
times (myself included).  See below:

First, worldnet.net and worldnet.com ARE different, and you couldn't delete
both at the same time without wildcards.  It may be you made a typo when
you wrote them, or it may be that the ATT folks own both domain names and
treat them interchangably, or are switching from one to the other, or
something else.

Second, if the user was [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask], you COULD and WOULD
delete both if you tried to delete just one.  That is how the system is
designed.

Third, by definition, FQDNs (the part after the @ sign) are case
INsensitive.  bozo.com and BOZO.COM are identical anywhere in the world.
However, some U**x systems distinguish between users named Bob and bob and
BOB and bOB, and so forth.  Those same systems may also distinguish case in
passwords and so forth.  So, LISTSERV treats Bob and bob and BOB as
identical for purposes of DELETING, but as different for purposes of
adding.  There have been long discussions of this before, and there is no
use in repeating them.  It is the way it works.  It isn't going to change.
 So, if this happens with a user who somehow gets her/himself on the list
as [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask], just delete them, and you or she
can add her back with the one of her choice.

Not to worry....the natives are really pretty friendly here, at least most
of the time....

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
[log in to unmask]   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/