Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 11:36:28 -0700
At 01:17 PM 4/1/97 -0500, you wrote:
>At 11:06 AM 4/1/97 -0700, Dan Lester wrote:
>>   If people would require CONFIRMATION on all requests for subscriptions,
>>then you don't HAVE a problem with fake addresses.  Let the LISTSERV(R)
>>software do it for you.  If they can't confirm, it isn't YOUR problem.  It
>>is theirs.  Don't mess with them....let the program do it.
>
>I really really wish we could do this, it would save a lot of headaches, but
>for reasons specific to our list, we can't.  I was actually just looking for
>opinion on whether or not it's "acceptable" to just start deleting these
>suspicious subscription requests without e-mailing for confirmation first.

Whatever you do is acceptable.  It is your list.  You're the dictator,
king, queen, and czar.  Period.  End of story.  People who don't like it
don't have to stick around.  Of course if you wish to give up some of that
control, that is your business too.

How about for your list if there are other control issues, that you set
review as the default, and thus all postings are filtered thru an editor
(such as you) until you specifically authorize them to post freely by
turning off review?  That could well be easier and quicker.  If you need to
verify them AFTER they've subbed, you could see the form notices of new
members and then send them the questionnaire or whatever it takes to vet them.

cyclops

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534