Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:15:42 -0600
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:23:06 -0700, Randy Klumph <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm receiving the following error on a user. The listing is
>[log in to unmask] I have deleted the user and added back to the list just to
>be certain. What is the bitnet error all about?
>

>Err First Last  Address
>--- ----- ----- -------
>                 Last error: Domain "BITMAIL.LSOFT.COM" doesn't exist.

BITNET was a precursor to the 'internet' as we now know it, at the time
LISTSERV was originally written.   It was officially discontinued some years
ago and the last remaining gateway servers between what was left of BITNET and
the internet all died earlier this year.  BITMAIL.LSOFT.COM was a forwarding
service for getting between networks, but it too was closed earlier this year
and that domain name was removed from DNS.

However, anyone subscribed to a list as    user@domain  (in your case
marthabh@AOL ) has the .BITNET automatically added by LISTSERV internally
following the rules for gatewaying the mail addresses between the networks.

If you are using LSMTP you should reconfigure the outgoing mail like this to
immediately reject (and eventually autodelete) any such addresses in your
lists as they are now completely wrong and permanently undeliverable.

Address *@*.bitnet
    Route=reject

If you are using another MTA (sendmail, postfix, etc.) they have similar ways
to make an immediate local bounce for this kind of mail.