Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:26:48 -0500
Winship wrote:
> Lately we have been having an increasing problem with people not being able
> to subscribe because they never receive the confimation messages, so they
> can't confirm.  Once we manually ADD them they receive the list mail just
> fine, but they still don't receive any job outputs from LISTSERV,
> regardless of what it is they do, or try to do.
>
> I figure it is some sort of deliberate block at their sites, but what would
> that be which allows the list distributed mail to go through, but blocks
> all LISTSERV job output type items?  A filter for LISTSERV@* perhaps?  What
> should I ask postmasters, or ask the subscribers to ask their postmasters,
> to do to allow the LISTSERV job outputs through?
>
> There are a lot of things these folk can't do if they can't receive the
> job outputs, which includes all "confirm" messages.
>
> Douglas Winship        [log in to unmask]

Their service providers' email servers are probably configured to reject any
message with a null envelope sender address. LISTSERV uses the null envelope
sender address on messages from the server process. This conforms to Internet
email standards for messages sent from automated processes, however, some
sites reject such messages in the mistaken belief that they are filtering
spam.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator