Betty Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 08:04:14 -0600
Hiya,

I run an 800+ member list and we haven't had a clueless unscribe sent the
the list in at least a year.

I too believe in education and a multipart approach.  and it's worked for
my list.

1) My list is set to where they have to confirm their subscription request.
I've revised the mail template to where the subscription confirmation
message includes a
paragraph that indicates that it's their responsibility to keep the list a
cool place to interact
and instructions to read the list guidelines *prior* to joining the list
and points them to the
list web page.  This also has worked well for dealing with the problem of
people being
subscribed to the list via spoofed mail.

2) all new subscribers are by default set to review.
I've revised the mail template to send a blurb reminding them that it's
their responsibility
to keep their posts consistant with list guidelines (link to list web page)
and tells them that
their post will be released to the list if it's consistant with list
guidelines, else they will be
asked to revise and resubmit.  It also tells them that after they have
demonstrated that they
can keep their posts consistant with list guidelines the editor will set
their options to where
they will be able to send mail directly to the list. It is the member's
responsibility to help keep
Sex-L a cool place to be. If you consistently violate the list norms
(contribute to flaming, etc),
you will no longer be allowed to participate in the discussions.  That
means that since the
only people who can post directly to the list have paid attention, the
clueless unscribes
generallly show up in the posts to be reviewed and I send them my standard
"how to unsub"
blurb which tells them to get back with me if they can't get it to work.
I have developed a set of standard responses to one liners, flames, quoting
problems, html, etc,
so it generally take less than 30 minutes per day to review posts from
newbies and nip any
problems in the bud.  FYI, my standard informational blurbs are linked from
http://okcforum.org/~editor/
Feel free to customize and use them if you want.

3) we have a bottom banner that points to the list web page
http://www.topchoice.com/~psyche/lists/sex-l.html
which provides info on using the list, including a reminder of specific
posting conventions in
the section on how to send mail to the list.

This combination has worked well for us.

As far as flaming goes, they get a warning, if they don't cool it, they're
set to nopost.  I send
a notice to them and to the list that they're on nopost status untill they
convince me that they
will keep their posts consistant with list guidelines.  That works well
too. *grin*  Haven't had
to do that in a while either. *knock on wood*

Out for now,
Betty