Phillip Sollins <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Aug 1995 11:46:44 PST
I just resubscribed to lstown-l out of irritation due to
our Dear Mr. Slaton, read back through the last month of
discussion and have some questions:

I'm curious whether most owners contact ISPs and postmasters when
they get a spam?  I do, religiously, but if 100's of others do
also, maybe there's some way we could avoid the duplication of
effort?  Might we cc lstown-l or would that be a self-spam?  In
any case, I think that encouraging one's listmembers to all write
to the ISP, as one listowner suggested, is overkill--unless there
are ISPs that don't respond promptly by nuking accounts?  Are
there? Is there any effort afoot to keep these jerks from getting
access? Can ISP's trade lists of the Jeff Slatons that they can
screen new subs against?  I suppose it's too easy to fake a name
when signing up for service.

Ed Milstein (@compute.com) mentioned that his company was
thinking of taking legal action against Slaton.  Are there
instances in which this has been done? If so, anybody know what
the outcome has been?

FWIW: Eric's filter is great; it's never mistakenly nailed
anything innocent sent to my list.  I'm still not ready to go to
semi-moderation or post=subscriber only.  Yes, don't post yet
another copy of the bloody things.

Thanks. -- Phil Sollins (owner ots-L)