"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 14:36:30 -0500
On 9 Nov 2001 at 12:27, Dennis Budd wrote, in part:
> I don't post to this list all that often anymore, but it seems that
> whenever I do I then get someone's "Out of Office AutoReply" message
> in return.  It's happened with more than half the messages I've sent
> in the last three months, and I find it quite annoying.

Yes.  Me, too.  For LISTSERV-based lists, I always forward the OoO
reply to the list owners at listname-request@thelistservdomainname and
let the owners apply their own policy.

For LISTSERV lists where the subscriber doesn't have a major upper-hand
(i.e., customer), switching the subscriber to "Digests" is an excellent
policy.   I tend to delete such subscriptions and then explain what the
former subscriber can or must do to avoid the situation again
(especially if the OoO message(s) are distributed).     cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith                       mailto:[log in to unmask]
Systems Group - UNET                 University of Maine System