Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:24:01 -0500
On 19 Dec 2006 at 16:27, Ray Champagne wrote:

> Would it be possible to link to a script (written in server-side language of
> my choice) in the footer of my email somehow?  I'd like to create a rotating
> ad in text or html, but I'm kind of limited without being able to link to
> some kind of script to do that processing for me.  I'm thinking a simple
> enough script that would retrieve a random text file and insert it on the
> fly to the footer.

Do you have a particular schedule in mind? It's easy to have a daily
rotating footer. For example, my list has one that changes every day
rotating through 12 messages:

.BB &DAYSEQ(12) = 1
&LISTNAME archives and other information:
.ce http://home.ease.lsoft.com/Archives/Epilepsy-L.html
.EB
.BB &DAYSEQ(12) = 2
Going on vacation? Send mail to LISTSERV@&MYHOST with the command
.ce SET &LISTNAME NOMAIL
in the message text to temporarily stop receiving posts from the
list. Send
.ce SET &LISTNAME MAIL
to resume receiving the list mail.
.EB
.BB &DAYSEQ(12) = 3
To send a message to the list, send e-mail addressed to:
.ce &LISTNAME@&MYHOST
.EB
.BB &DAYSEQ(12) = 4
Need basic information on Epilepsy? Check out the links at:
.ce http://home.ease.lsoft.com/Archives/Epilepsy-L.html#EPILEPSY
.EB
.BB &DAYSEQ(12) = 5
Too much e-mail? &LISTNAME is also available in "digest" and "index"
format. See
.ce
http://home.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?SHOWTPL=DELIVERY_OPTIONS&&L=
EPILEPSY-L
.EB
.BB &DAYSEQ(12) = 6
Remember to prefix your mail subject with HUMOR: or OT: when you
send an off-topic post.
.EB
.BB &DAYSEQ(12) = 7
Overwhelmed by all the mail, but want to stay in touch?
If you're using Netscape or Outlook to read your mail,
the HTML INDEX subscription sends you links to the archives on the
web
instead of individual postings.
Send the command
.ce SET &LISTNAME HTML INDEX
to LISTSERV@&MYHOST
.EB
.BB &DAYSEQ(12) = 8
You can subscribe, unsubscribe, change your subscription options,
browse/search the archives, and post to the list from the &LISTNAME
web page:
.ce http://home.ease.lsoft.com/Archives/Epilepsy-L.html
.EB
.BB &DAYSEQ(12) = 9
Use of this list for advertising or forwarding chain
letters of any sort may result in expulsion from the list. See:
.ce http://home.ease.lsoft.com/Archives/Epilepsy-L.html#WARNINGS
.EB
.BB &DAYSEQ(12) = 10
Never send copyrighted material of any kind to this list.
Please summarize and/or send URLs for the material you wish to share.
Contact the list owners before sending anything you are unsure of.
See
http://home.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?SHOWTPL=CONTACT&L=EPILEPSY-
for instructions on contacting the list owners.
.EB
.BB &DAYSEQ(12) = 11
For explanations of abbreviations used on &LISTNAME, see:
.ce http://home.ease.lsoft.com/archives/epilepsy-l.html#EPILEPSY
.EB
.BB &DAYSEQ(12) = 12
If you need to contact the list owners, see:
.ce
http://home.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?SHOWTPL=CONTACT&L=EPILEPSY-
for instructions.
.EB

If you want a rotation of less than a day, you could write a script
that updates the listname.mailtpl file, I guess.

--
Francoise Becker

There is only one LISTSERV(R) -- the product that launched the
email list communication industry in 1986. To discover the
story behind LISTSERV, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/corporate/20anniversary.asp