Les Moskowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 11:39:59 -0400
There are currently only three ways in which access to the review
command is allowed:
    (a) Everyone can use the command
    (b) Only subscribers can use the command
    (c) No one (except the list owner) can use the command.

I've found the review command to be a very valuable tool when used
responsibly by my list subscribers.  I have my list configured under
the above option (b), and its use eliminates personal list messages such
as "John Doe - will you please contact me.  I need to talk to you".

On the other hand, as has been pointed out by others, allowing the
command to be used by all subscribers runs the risk of a spammer
subscribing, getting everyone's email address and immediately
unsubscribing.

Why not allow use of the "review" command to be another item which
can be set on a case-by-case basis by the list owner -- the same way
that the ability to post messages is currently controlled by the list
owner.  It would eliminate the problem of being either too restrictive
or too loose.

                                                       Les