Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 14:02:01 +0200
On Thu, 1 Aug 1996 22:15:10 GMT Aldo-Pier Solari <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>In  my  view,  AOL (and other .com providers, but mainly AOL) should
>have some kind  of  routine  to  send  automatic SIGNOFF commands to
>lists to which the above user categories match in.

No, they should simply return bounces in a format allowing automatic
deletion.

>As a matter of fact, I am somehow disgusted  (yes,  disgusted)  with
>the  relative  frequency  of  such  technical TROUBLE most AOL users
>create in the conference I manage.

Well, with some 5.x million users what do you expect?

>Finally, a question: Why does  this  never happen with COMPUSERVE ?.
>Perhaps they have some routine which avoid the technical mess ?.

The reason it doesn't happen with CS is that they have yet to respect the
most  basic part  of bounce  delivery: sending  the bounce  to the  right
address.  So, in  a  nutshell,  *you* aren't  getting  the bounces.  This
doesn't mean  they aren't sent, or  that problems aren't present.  AOL at
least sends bounces to the right address.

  Eric