Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Charles Clausen <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 May 2017 17:10:54 -0400
text/plain (34 lines)
I’m not clear about what you are saying -  Are the messages appearing on your mailing list? Do the bullying messages have the appearance of coming from the ListServ, but are from an email address that is not subscribed? Or are the bully  messages being sent to the complainant's personal email address - perhaps with the same "Subject" that was used on messages to your mailing list? What is the indicated email address of the sender? Etc..

The first thing before trying to figure out what to do is to ask the complainant to send you a copy of one of the messages with the long form of the header, so you can understand exactly what is going on.

We used to have a variety of grumpy old men who would post inappropriate messages on our mailing list for discussion of prostate cancer. They would go into lengthy diatribes and argue endlessly about religion, politics, quack medicine, emotionally irrational opinions about a particular treatment, listserv etiquette, etc.. We sometimes had "flame wars". Things would sometimes get really nuts, and on one occasion, one of our subscribers received a death threat (I assume “rhetorically”) by phone. Thankfully we have mellowed out during our 22 years of existence.

If the perpetrator is an actual subscriber, and the messages are actually coming through the ListServ, the measures are simple - you can set the subscriber to moderated status, or block them from posting altogether. Or you can unsubscribe them and put a filter in your list header to prevent them from re-subscribing, or ask your site administrator to serve off their email address. We had a couple of mischievous diehards who would set up a subscription with a different email address and then resume their nonsense - so the same would need to be done with the new subscription address.

On Mon, 15 May 2017 18:09:05 -0700, Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I received this today from a subscriber.
>
>a list member wrote:
>> Dear Mike,
>> One of our neighbors has been cyber bullying my family. Got our emails through the list serve. I would like to share what has happened and ask what can be done to stop this situation.
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>I think I'm way over my head here. Have any of you experienced anything like
>this on your lists? Can you advise?
>
>A couple of facts: (1) Nobody can self-subscribe to this list; would-be members
>must go through me and I subscribe them manually. (2) The list of subscribers is
>private; ordinary members cannot REVIEW. (3) I'm starting to discuss this with
>the complainant, to learn more about what happened.

############################

To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list:
write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-PEACH.exe?SUBED1=LSTOWN-L&A=1

ATOM RSS1 RSS2