Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 19:01:41 -0400
At 04:58 PM 7/14/98 -0500, Amy Stinson wrote:
>Occasionally I get an email that is sent to me by mistake that I want to forward
>to one of my lists.  Whenever I do that, it puts my name as the author (in the
>from) even though I have sent it as a "resend".  I thought it might be pegasus,
>but it's LISTSERV that's parsing out the headers.  Here's one I forwarded to
>myself:
>
>Forwarded by:           "Amy Stinson" <[log in to unmask]>
>Forwarded to:           [log in to unmask]
>Date forwarded:         Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:51:18 -0500
>Date sent:              Sun, 14 Jun 1998 16:20:09 +0000 (GMT)
>From:                   'ki <[log in to unmask]>
>To:                     [log in to unmask]

Ah, but those aren't your RFC822 headers.  There's no such thing as
"Forwarded by:", for example; and none have a space in them.  I'm not
sure what LISTSERV's rules are, but the "Comments: Resent-From:" below
looks like it received one of those, and I believe the RFC822
interpretation is that "Resent-From:" takes precedence over "From:" for replies.

You *can* send to LISTSERV with a different "From:" than your
actual email -- I'm doing it right now, and I do it all the time.
(I send from a POP account, "From:" points to a shell account on a
different ISP even, where I prefer to receive mail so I can run it
through procmail to tag and forward some of it back to the POP
account.)  I don't know about pegasus, but in Eudora I change my
address under "Tools"->"Options"->"Return Address" to alter the "From:"
(and also my name if applicable, such as sending "From" a work account
with slightly different name).

(I'm assuming here that your ISP allows this, of course.)

Not sure of pegasus' capabilities... you need to avoid producing
those extra headers.  (In UNIX, it's easy... just put the "correct"
headers, blank line, message in a file and feed that to sendmail
or mail.)  You could probably configure pegasus temporarily to
"become" the other person, assuming you're not on UNIX.

Note that no matter *how* you do it, if you use some other
"From:" any problems with that message will go there, not back
to you (e.g., list is held, etc.) and if you misspell it,
the "not subscribed" error may go into hyperspace.

>Here's one I forwarded to a list of mine:
>Date:         Tue, 14 Jul 1998 13:58:16 -0500
>Sender:       Firm Workout Discussion for Big Beautiful Women
>Comments:     Resent-From: "Amy Stinson" <[log in to unmask]>
>Comments:     Originally-From: XXXX <[log in to unmask]>
>From:         Amy Stinson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      [BBW] Bio
>To:           [log in to unmask]

These are RFC822 headers; you should look at this type of headers
for the message pegasus forwarded to yourself (or Bcc yourself and look at
the headers on the Bcc :)  You should see the Resent- set there.

>Listserv added the comments and changed the from:
>Is there a way to change this?

Your first thought--pegasus--is probably correct.  I think LISTSERV
is doing the "right" thing for email header conventions.

(OTOH, I think a moderator is *supposed* to use the Resent- headers
but I don't moderate, and am not sure.)

Cheers,
Stan