Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 30 May 2002 13:14:53 -0600
On Thu, 30 May 2002 14:27:31 -0400, "Humphrey,Mindy" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Can anyone tell me if it is possible or you have done this with the 1.8d web
>version where you creat a discussion list but you do not have to subscribe.
>We have an idea for a listserv list with postings of what you are selling,
>but we don't want to subscribe 1,000 people

You can do this.  Set up a list with no subscribers and
Subscription= Closed (so no one can join either)
but configure the WWW archives to be accessible to the Public or to a defined
service area.

Rather than just leave it Send=Public, you may want to configure it
Send= Editor,Hold  and have someone approve legitimate posts and keep out the
'spam'.

This certainly can work using LISTSERV, but as Rich Greenburg points out there
may be other tools better adapted to this.