Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 19:22:09 -0600
I'm posting this here because although I am only a subscriber to the
list in question, I find it extremely sobering both as a list
subscriber and a list owner.  I was online when the messages in
question came...the thought of opening the second one (which contained
the virus) crossed my mind, but I thought, no I don't trust this.
This is an announce-only list from a trusted source, so I have no
doubt that some people in fact opened the attachment and were
infected.

I have no part in the administration of this list and don't know the
technical details.  The message the listowner sent us gives no clue as
to where his original message was in fact intercepted.

Dennis

ATTENTION!!! PLEASE READ!!!

The 01-19-01 Skyline from S&T did not go out this Friday. Instead when
this bulletin was sent, a blank message went out instead. A second
blank message then went out with a file attached. This file is a
VIRUS.

If you receive a blank message, DELETE IT!!! If you receive a blank
message with a file attached, DELETE IT!!! If you receive a message
with the file DMCAHBDM.EXE attached, DELETE IT!!! This file is the
Win32.Hybris.B worm.

This virus did not come from my system or the listserver from our
Internet Service Provider. Both systems are properly protected. It has
been determined that my message to the list was intercepted and
replaced with a message containing the virus. We have taken steps to
insure that this does not happen again.  PLEASE ACCEPT OUR MOST
PROFOUND APOLOGIES FOR THE PROBLEMS THIS MAY HAVE CAUSED YOU.

We are sending the regular 01-19-01 Skyline out with this
explanation. I had to wait for the problem to be resolved before I
could send out this explanation to the list for fear of sending
another virus to the list. For those of you who are uncomfortable with
this list, you may unsubscribe by sending a message from the address
you want unsubscribed to the address "[log in to unmask]" (without
quotation marks), and put the word "unjoin" in either the subject or
body, and we will unsubscribe you immediately.. Again, we are very
sorry that this occurred. Best regards, John Wagoner,