Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:33:50 -0500
Winship wrote:

> To see the actual bounces, to try to track down the source subscription
> address, if there is one, simply turn auto-delete off (Auto-delete= No
> Now, I do not do that very often, and am careful to turn auto-delete back
> on before the midnight maintenace routine so that it does not lose its
> If auto-delete, semi-auto, reported only on errors for subscribed addresses
> (sometimes the error is for a close, but not exact match) you would end up
> with many invalid addresses, forever, in your subscription list.  From now
> until doomsday LISTSERV would try to deliver the mail, and an error would

The reason I want something easier than turning Auto-Delete on and off
is that I am a site administrator and realistically I find that our
owners overwhelmingly choose that last option - the one where they
figure out how to filter or otherwise ignore everything unpleasant and
Listserv sinks into oblivion trying to deliver mail to an
ever-increasing
number of nonexistent people.  I can tell them all about how they should
be up at midnight turning things on and off but they just don't seem to
want to listen to that.  :)  It does give me something to tell them and
they go away, but I can tell from size of the mail queue what they are
doing with my advice.  :)  And it occurred to me that this situation
virtually -always- corresponds to a bounce from a non-subscribed address
(as opposed to a non-subscriber address - the bouncer is likely a
subscriber, just not at that address, as has been discussed), which is
why I would like at least an -option- to treat non-subscribed addresses
the same as any other bounce which Listserv does not know how to deal
with.  Because, let's face it, Listserv -doesn't- know how to deal with
those automatically.

Margaret King
Michigan State University