Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 10:41:35 EST
You either have to wait for the cookie to expire or find out which user
the cookie is for and have the LISTSERV maintainer at the site in question
do a PWC DELETE to get rid of the user's password.  Then the next time someone
tries to log in, the cookie doesn't work and you get the login screen.

Quite frankly, IMHO this is a major browser problem (the inability to easily
edit/delete existing cookies) and the only thing that makes it a LISTSERV
problem is that people are setting cookies when they shouldn't be.  Francoise
is right, users in clusters or otherwise shared computers simply shouldn't
set cookies.

Note that getting rid of cookies.txt <should> work but that at least in
my case, there are two copies of cookies.txt (NS 3.01 Gold), one in the
"Netscape" directory and one in the "Program" directory underneath it.
It's the one in the "Program" directory that my copy of NetScape actually
uses.  (The other one must be from an older version, I guess)  Anyway,
I tried editing cookies.txt a week or so ago to get rid of the trash
cookies and that ended up hosing <all> of my cookies, not just the ones
I deleted :)  So I guess I ended up with a file of broken cookies, eh? :)

Hmm, on NS 4.x you likely have multiple cookies.txt files based on the
current logon...so are you sure you have the right copy of the file?

Nathan