Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 23:05:09 -0700
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:54:42 -0700, "Garramone, Kathy"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Is there is a maximum number for subscriber membership? We have a list
>owner who has approx. 930 members and anticipates that this number will
>increase due to anticipated new activity.

Generally, no.  However, if you have the following line in your List Header

 Limits= sub(1000)

then your LISTSERV installation uses the ISP option and you have a hard-limit
of 1000 for your list (or whatever the number says).  Very few sites use this
option so you are not likely to be affected.

Certain other sites have a License-imposed limit (e.g. max 20 lists of 1,000
subscribers each), which is controlled at the server level.  You can't know
about this as there is nothing in your List Header.  Since you didn't identify
your LISTSERV host, the best person to contact is your Site Administrator
(listserv-request@...) who should know the exact situation for your host and
list.

>I know some email addresses in
>this file are duplicates of ones for current subscribers.

Assuming you are running a version of LISTSERV of 14.5 or later, you can add
this line to your List Header:

 Misc-Options= IGNORE_EMAIL_CASE

then bulk-import your address list and let LISTSERV sort out the dupes.  This
line is necessary because without it (and according to SMTP protocol) LISTSERV
is required to consider [log in to unmask] to be different from [log in to unmask] to be
different from [log in to unmask] to be different from [log in to unmask], etc.  With the
line those will all be considered to be duplicates (which they are).