Wed, 22 Apr 1998 05:54:38 -0500
On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Juntung Wu (JT) wrote:
> On another note, I think whether the claim is challenged or not depends on
> the material itself more than anything.

Certainly.

> For instance, if you're say a Microsoft software engineer, and you posted
> to a non-Microsoft technical mailing list, Microsoft could claim
> copyright on the writing (because any software advice/idea belongs to
> them when you work for them - depends on your contract), whether you're
> using Microsoft's computer systems to write the message or not.

This is getting far afield but it is something which bothers me.  Yes,
some companies try to claim the right to control every aspect of the
employee's life and to own anything the employe creates, whether done
"on company time" or "free time."  If you work for one of this companies
your thoughts are not your own, they belong to the company, regardless
of the thoughts.  This bothers me.

Douglas