"J. R. Lankford" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:53:09 -0500
     You agree that upon posting any material within a group open to the
public on the
>      Service, you grant eGroups, and its successors and assigns, a
>non-exclusive,
>      worldwide, royalty free, perpetual, non-revocable license under your
>copyrights or
>      other intellectual property rights, if any, in such material, to
>use, distribute, display,
>      reproduce, and create derivative works from such material in any and
>all media, in
>      any manner, in whole or part, without any duty to account to you.
>
>Problem 1 is that I don't think this is a fair price to pay for a free
>service.

I agree!  I'm a writer and I often use words and concepts in a novel that I
first wrote in an online message.  Also, if my message included a link to
chapters from my novel posted on the web, have I now lost copyright in my
own work?

This kind of wording would steer me entirely away from the service.

Jilla