Rick Varner <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:43:40 -0400
Most of us have accidentally deleted an email before reading at least once.

Perhaps Lynne will find a way to request "read/open" receipts for the messages (as opposed to sent/delivered receipts that don't detail the message has been opened), then reverse filter those against her subscriber list to see who is in fact, disposing without reading, and how often.

With "University," I read "teenager," and the goal is to intercept and modify unhealthy behavior.  Such notice would perhaps give an advisor or counselor a heads up, earlier than other issues might surface.  A single occurrence, could be resent, with an advisory that "You have deleted message "XYZ" without reading/opening.  This could indicate someone is accessing your mail without your permission, or you could have accidentally deleted the message.  We have retransmitted the message for your benefit.  The information content of the messages on this list is required reading / knowledge for participants in this program.  Please contact [log in to unmask] if you need further assistance."

Accountability can be construed as helpful or controlling.   Lynne's job is to implement / support a policy decision someone else made.  Three cheers for her diligent effort.

Rick Varner