Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:24:06 -0500
Okay, this is low priority, but may be worth taking a look at:

With MS Exchange and MS Internet Mail, both of which default to nonRFC
behavior, I fear we may start seeing more and more noncompliant mail
clients. It's been discussed here before that banning domains from lists
might accomplish something; I wonder if banning software would as well.

The problem as I see it is that these poor victims of the lowest bidder
don't know what they're inflicting.

What I envision would be a feature of LISTSERV that would consider a nonRFC
message as an error, and perform error processing on it (automatic
deletion, etc). Nonstandard attachments, headers, etc would get processed
to whatever "From" address LISTSERV could detect.

Once deleted, the user would get a "You have been deleted from Listname-L,
as your mail client software does not conform to the international
electronic mail standard as put forth in RFC xxxx. If you can adjust your
software to deliver compliant messages, or move to a different mail
package, you will need to contact Listname-owner to be resubscribed."

Of course, nothing's stopping us from doing this manually right now. ;)

Philo
Philo                          ||
[log in to unmask]                || Due to a system error,
2E GULC          <*>           || Eudora cannot display a .sig
http://www.radix.net/~philo    ||